How Children Change Our Lives

A long term quest to maintain a passion for teaching while honoring the children who make it worthwhile...

Monday, February 21, 2011

In way of introductions

I am writing this blog not because I have something particularly new or enlightening to say, but because I find myself at a crossroads. I am half way through my fifth year of teaching in a high needs, urban setting. Also, I am exhausted. Looking at the next few years, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the idea of another year, another set of needs, more referrals and groupings, pushing students to achieve two to three years of academic growth in one academic year. The political climate does little in the way of alleviating tension or stress, and though dedicated to my job, committed to the ideals of closing the achievement gap in America, and relatively successful at what I do... I want to quit.

This blog is a challenge to myself to find 500 ways, 500 reasons, 500 stories, 500 moments that remind me why I get up each morning. Along with teaching third graders, I also work with a junior high youth group of unconventional tweens in an unconventional church. I am surrounded by young people who literally make each day worthwhile, and I lose sight of that in the midst of testing and note-taking, and the daily barrage of emails and to-dos.

Alas, I digress into sentimental mush, something I anticipate there will be plenty of through-out the following 500 entries. But let me be clear that I in no way plan to romanticize what happens in the day to day. Kids can be bratty, entitled, obnoxious, rude, and plain dumb. Then again, so can we all... and that's what will make all of this so much fun.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great exercise in gratitude. And never fear, you will no doubt get preggers shortly after your wedding, and then you CAN quit (at least for awhile) to nurture your little munchkin. And you'll look back at these entries and wish you were back in the work force (at least part time). Love you and looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete