How Children Change Our Lives

A long term quest to maintain a passion for teaching while honoring the children who make it worthwhile...

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

reason #8: the quotes... seriously, the quotes

OK, nothing too deep today, although there was a moment when one of my students started crying that I almost cried with him, and I remembered again how powerful and challenging it is to teach.

Later, the same child was upset because another child had said something mean about him. The conversation:

Peter: I'm mad cuz he said all sorts of mean stuff about me, stuff I don't even wanna repeat.

Leo: I didn't say nothin about him.

Peter: Yes, you did. You said that my eyes are slanty and that my eyebrows come together and make one eyebrow. And I can't help that! A lot of people have only one eyebrow! I don't think you should make fun of me because of that.

Me: Leo, did you said that Peter only has one eyebrow?

Leo: Yes.

Me: Please apologize.

(apology)

Me: OK, now we either need to handshake, high five, or hug.

(handshake, Leo sits down)

Peter: There's still something between us, cuz nobody gets to talk about my eyebrows like that!

Seriously, how did I not laugh?

No comments:

Post a Comment